Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Week 4 Activity 13: Formative Assessment (Flubaroo, Socrative, Padlet)

Blog: Write a reflective blog post based on Formative Assessment and technology. How do you see yourself rolling out some of these tools in your class? How can you share with course team members? What are some uses for these tools outside of Formative Assessment?

This has been my favorite week so far because I am always looking for the quick method for checking-in or ways for students to engage in formative assessments other than labs without thinking of it as the dreaded test! I am sure there is lots of theory supporting these methods and tools but in my opinion it is more about the opportunity to engage the students with interactive assessments. One of the toughest tasks for many teachers is finding the time to grade the work of more than 90 students on a bi-weekly, weekly or daily basis. Now, if we could figure out how to model hospital systems and be able to create electronic records for each student by simply attaching importing the results of the quizzes, either quantitative or qualitative, to such grading systems as Infinite Campus from online assessments. Is this concept too lazy? Just think, we could spend the class time learning, playing, discovering new tools, reinforcing the learning targets, and measuring outcomes with online tools that grade themselves and data dump into student electronic files. Okay, okay I am done daydreaming now but I really enjoyed learning about flubaroo, socrative, and padlet!!

I see me using the flubaroo with homework quizzes and general quick quizzes to check-in over long weekends, reinforce important learning targets, or even pick a few important concepts from lab analysis questions. 

ALSO--  I downloaded the QR barcode scanner from the itunes app store and scanned Maureen's formative assessment slideshow and in less than 5 seconds it was open and flipping through the presentation on my phone. Wow, that was easy!

Socrative will definitely be used for the DQ (daily question) and I LOVE that it can be student or teacher time-paced! Classroom time-management 101, yay!

Padlet will be used by me first week in biology! We usually do posters for brainstorming the BIG BIOTHEMES and now we have an interactive padlet and no need for hunting down old National Geographics and newsprints from the library, especially because they are becoming more obsolete as we continue to conserve!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea for how to transform an older-style activity into an online one with Padlet, Michelle! I did that last year, moving a poster project in to an Animoto video, and it was good. I learned along the way and will revise this year (still want to emphasize content over style), but the kids were very engaged and I loved not having to carry posters home to grade! BTW--if you need any old National Geographics, our department has A TON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great ideas. Please invite me to your class when your students are working on Padlet. If they are doing it from home, share the link with me.

    ReplyDelete